10 April 2006

ending my spring break at the monastery


written at the monastery on Friday and published at my return on Sunday.
as I told people that I wanted to end my spring break with a weekend visit to a monastery, I didn’t really know how to explain why. I’d say something about wanting to be here for Palm Sunday in order to hear the monks do a reading/chanting of the Passion narrative - and I hoped that I would once again hear the Word anew. And I’d mention that I’d have a bit more control over my schedule as I currently have a big old farmhouse to myself and no responsibilities (except a couple of services that I’m expected to attend.) The monastery provides a peaceful place to do homework and rest before returning to school on Monday. Yet, as I enjoyed time with friends and family, I wondered why I was rushing away from the opportunity to spend time with these people I love in order to spend more time by myself and/or with the monks (even as enjoyable as spending time getting to know them has been).

And as I sit here on my first night, I realize why. although all the above reasons factor in, I came here to remember. To dwell in the peace of a place where prayer has been offered up longer than I’ve been alive. To go for a walk and once again lose the path that goes around the big pond (and remember all the times that Deb and I have done the same thing – and lift her and others before God in prayer). To talk to the Prior about postmodern Christianity (and actually sound like I know what I’m talking about!) and remember how much I love learning and studying. And to remember the many moments this week when people wanted to hear about the things I was studying – and what I was learning. And before the church service started this evening to receive a wave from a stranger and remembering that hospitality is what the body of Christ does. To take time to remember the wonderful moments with family this past week (even if my sister says it wasn’t the most exciting of visitsJ) – and to thank God for that because I have often been selfish with them and haven’t always been as gracious or appreciative of my family as I should be.

And tomorrow I anticipate remembering more (even if some of it is just remembering to do some of my work that needs doing J). For this place is a blessed mixture of the holy and the ordinary. The holiness of prayer and the psalms and the Lord’s Supper. And the ordinary of getting work done and talking with monks about everything from history to travel to The Simpsons to music to theology and who knows what else. (Sunday comment: it ended up being Star Wars and classical music and beer and the new Volkswegan commercials and technology and books).

And as I do some homework and grading tonight, I hope to continue to soak up the blessing of this place. And hope to meet God in the midst of both the holy and the ordinary.

No comments: